Monday, June 28, 2010

First the good news

I am often at a loss as to how business in this part of the world operates.

This afternoon, I received a call from a building manager where I had applied for a three-bedroom apartment.

"You've been approved," she said.
"Great. I guess you'll want us in to sign some paperwork. What day is best?" I responded.
"The apartment's taken."
"You just said we were approved."
"Yes. We have a two-bedroom coming available in August. Would you like that one?"
"No. I want the three bedroom. Didn't you just tell me we were approved? Are you sure the apartment hasn't been takem by us?"
Shuffling of paper can be heard.
"Is your name Wilson?"
"No."
"What apartment was it? Number 111?"
"I don't know the apartment number. It was the three bedroom on the first floor. The one you just told me we were approved for."
"Was it 111?"
"I don't know the apartment number."
More shuffling of papers.
"Didn't you just call me to tell me that we were approved for the apartment we applied for?"
"Yeah, but that's taken. Do you want the two bedroom?"

I couldn't make this up.

C

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you really don't want to live there anyway. I couldn't imagine trying to get something repaired with those organizational skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true... but three bedroom apts in nice buildings are hard to come by here... apparently they are few and far between because landlords don't want students moving in and sharing with friends.

    Halifax has, I believe, the highest student ratio of any city in Canada. Or maybe it's NS has the highest ratio of any province. Something like that.

    ReplyDelete