Thursday, October 15, 2009

Good books I've recently read

Shandi Mitchell's Under This Unbroken Sky: an emotional story about a family of Ukrainian settlers facing bigotry, inhumane laws and betrayal. If this doesn't win awards there is something wrong with the awards.

Miriam Toews' The Flying Troutmans: a dark tale about the impacts of mental illness and rebuilding life. Quirky, entertaining and a tad disturbing.

Wayson Choy's The Jade Peony: a story in three parts about Chinatown in Vancouver in the 1940s. This award-winner was published in 1995, when the author was 52 (nice to know some start later in life!), it gives us a look at children of immigrant families and the challenges of straddling two cultures.

I've read many others but only share the ones I've enjoyed. I figure writers have a difficult enough time of it without me (and who the hell am I anyway?) trashing their work. To me, a story must be compelling, of course, but also be written well enough that I don't focus on the errors of construction.

I hope you give these a try. They are worth your time and money.

Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment